Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe during the early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, used a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany as well as nutmeg. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe but some distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you try to find Absinthe recipes online, you will find that a lot of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor such as Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How can you Create Absinthe from home?
Even though some recipes on the internet are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor with no license is illegal in lots of countries and you simply need the right equipment and you need to find out what you’re doing. So, are there any other strategies to making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This typically involves steeping herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a few days or even a couple of weeks in the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Just distillation will give you a true Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe Kit – Many of the kits available online, such as the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They are easier than obtaining and preparing your own personal herbs however you are just steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much simpler and better approach to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com create essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are made by distilling traditional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is completed for you and all you should do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a genuine Absinthe drink.
The essences come in four distinct kinds:-
– Classic Green Essence to produce a traditional “verte” Absinthe having a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to make a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This actually also has a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to create Absinthe having a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe with a natural orange flavor as well as a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence is likely to make an Absinthe having a higher thujone content (55mg) and also a more bitter wormwood taste.
You can purchase a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to create one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or obtain a kit for $29 to make 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic measure and 14 creative bottle labels. All that you should supply is the neutral alcohol base. Remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be mindful, drink Absinthe sparingly because it’s a much more powerful beverage than other spirits and fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or maybe a neutral alcohol which does not have a powerful taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.